This post contains affiliate links. That means that I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of these links, at no cost to you.
Hello friends! I have a confession - I do not like most breakfast food. I have a texture thing (I just cannot with mushy pancakes), and eggs only taste good baked, mixed in a cake. Anyone else on my page here? I do, however, love bread, and I love peanut butter but let's be honest, I could be starting my day much healthier. Enter this easy vegan breakfast burrito.
My mom gave me this idea one holiday season when she prepared a bunch of these (with egg instead of tofu) and had them ready in the freezer for quick and easy meals that could feed a lot of people. They are delicious, do not taste like breakfast food to me, and contain a healthy amount of protein!
A few tips I have learned over the years for making the perfect tofu burrito:
Drain liquid from your tofu, otherwise the scramble makes the tortilla soggy. I wrap my tofu in a paper towel or dish towel, put it on a cutting board and place my cast iron skillet (or other heavy pot/pan) on top. After 5 - 10 minutes, a lot of liquid is expelled.
I find it easiest to mash tofu after I have cut it into small squares.
I like shredded cabbage, carrots, kale which are nice and hearty and hold up well (I usually get this mix) but get creative with your veggies! Or use up what you have in the fridge.
This recipe is vegan, but you can easily substitute scrambled egg for the tofu + nutritional yeast if you prefer (the nutritional yeast gives tofu an egg-like texture and adds some great vitamins + minerals).
I like to eat this crispy (as far from mushy as possible) by making it more like a panini, smashed between two pots (the top being a heavy cast iron skillet - see photos below)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbs olive oil
14 oz firm tofu
2 cups of shredded veggies
6-7 tortillas (flour does not break as easily)
tin foil - pre-cut into roughly 6 x 12 inch pieces
1) Drain as much water as you can from the tofu: wrap it in a paper towel, place it on a cutting board and set a heavy pan on it for about 5 minutes until a good amount of liquid is extracted. Toss the liquid.
2) While the tofu is draining, combine the spices in a small bowl: chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, set aside.
3) Mash the tofu to create a scrambled egg-like texture (I prefer to cut it into small squares first to make this easier). Heat oil in a large pan or skillet and cook tofu scramble for about 5 minutes until hot. Mix in nutritional yeast.
4) Mix in the spices
5) Add in shredded vegetables, mix with scramble and cook for about one more minute or until vegetables are cooked down.
6) Assemble! Spoon about 1/2 cup of scramble mix onto one tortilla, roll into a burrito and wrap with tin foil.
7) To cook:
1) (My preferred method, but must be thawed): "Panini" method: smash burrito between 2 skillets (the top should be heavy, like cast iron; see photos). Cook on each side for roughly 4 minutes, or until golden brown. I will take a burrito out of the freezer the night prior and put it in the fridge to de-thaw for breakfast.
2) Remove tin foil and microwave a frozen burrito for 3 minutes, flipping 1/2 way
3) Frozen burrito wrapped in tin foil can be baked at 350ºF for 30 - 40 minutes
Eat with salsa or guacamole
**Can keep in freezer for up to 2 weeks